Tuesday, October 30, 2007

OUCH!!

WOW!
Are they serious?


My spouse is a Lt. Firefighter/EMT so taking blood pressures is second nature. Since our daughter is planning on following him in this profession, he figured she ought to learn how to, too. Shoot, we all need to know as Grandma is in declining health at 82 and has been living with us since she had a stroke near two years ago.


Well today blood pressures were taken and needless to say, one was higher then it should be, one higher then normal (I had just finished my fifth cup of coffee! Give me a break! Lol, I was awake, though! And it's still in a healthy range!) Needless to say, my spouse figures it's time to get serious about being 'middle aged' (Lol, doesn't that sound like a history lesson?) so it's time to take this blood pressure thing serious and go on a 'heart healthy diet'.

YIKES!! & YUCK!!

So below is the diet that we started to 'improve our health'. I guess I upset my spouse when I said that I'd rather die at fifty then live to one hundred by eating the same thing day in and day out. I was exaggerating a bit, but get real! No eggs and toast for breakfast ever again? I mean no more Tomato and Sausage Gravy over Golden Layered Biscuits, ever again?
To NEVER taste a BLT on Rye? No more pasta? No more nachos? AND THE WORST!!

NO MORE STEAK!!!

I think I've already died....or might as well...Why didn't they tell me that growing old would mean the end of wonderful foods? What's to be done about this? I'll support my spouse and share his diet to get his BP down. I'll even give up all these foods because he's worth it. But NOBODY better get mad at me when the Thanksgiving table is all nice clean veggies with no special mouth watering sauces to make them melt in your mouth. No more savoury sides. No more delicious desserts. No more hot chocolate by a roaring fire...
Please Pray for me! I'm gonna need it!
One day down and counting...

DIET:

Foods to purchase and eat during your diet

Butter – I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light
Meats – Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts, Lean Boneless Butterfield Pork chops
Lunch Meats – Chicken, Turkey (Healthy Choice)
Fish (White Only) - Tuna Albacore in water only, Haddock, Halibut
Cottage Cheese – 2%
Cookies – Sugarless
Cereal – Special K, Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios
Bread – 100% Whole Wheat (Arnolds is the best)
Crackers – Ritz Reduced
Mayonnaise – Helmans Just To Good (Green Top)
Vegetables – (Raw) Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Baking Potatoes
Salad – Fresh Greens
Salad Dressing – Low Fat type or Oil and Vinegar (Oil must be Virgin Olive Oil)
Starches – Reduced Fat Noodles, Rice
Fruits – Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Apples, Bananas, Honey Dew Melon
Sugar – Sweet and Low or Splenda only
Peanut Butter – Reduced Fat
Jelly – Reduced Fat
Cooking oils – Pam spray only
Snacks – Sugar Free Popsicles, Sugar Free Fudgesicles
Drinks – Water, Juice, Milk 2%

No Chips, Pretzels, Soda, or Candy
*********************************************************************
Breakfast – Cereal with 2% Milk and glass of Juice or Milk

10am Snack – Fruit (Small container) or 1 Apple, and a few Ritz Crackers

Lunch – Lunch meat or Tuna Sandwich, or Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, or Salad with raw vegetables, and Cottage Cheese. Juice, Water or Milk

Afternoon Snack – Vegetables with small amount of Crackers

Supper – Any meat or fish listed (cook in Pam only, no oil/butter), Salad with vegetables, and your choice of Baked Potato, Rice, or Noodles, and Cottage Cheese. Juice, Water, or Milk
* Note: If you eat a sandwich at lunch you can not have a Potato, Rice, or Noodles with Supper.*

Night Snack – Sugar Free Popsicles, Sugar free Fudgesicle, Sugar free cookies, or Honey Nut Cheerios (no milk)


You Must walk at least one mile a day
Eat small portions at each meal and snack
No Ionized Salt, Sea salt only
Drink at least 64oz. of water a day




NO CHEATING

3 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

PETER PAN:
Listen to your teacher. Repeat after me:
I won't grow up,
----I won't grow up
I don't want to go to school.
----I don't want to go to school
Just to learn to be a parrot,
----Just to learn to be a parrot
And recite a silly rule.
----And recite a silly rule
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
Not I,
Not me!
Not me!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Ren Allen said...

I think the diet sounds pretty unhealthy actually. So maybe it's all about what works for your own body. I personally think butter is MUCH healthier than the butter alternatives. Natural foods digest properly.

Paula Vince said...

I have to say, the anti-blood pressure diet (or yummy foods) that you mentioned sound very appealing. So maybe that's why the spartan diet list that followed just doesn't cut it for me! Even though several people have tried to make "health" foods delicious, they are never quite the same.
Blessings,
Paula